The morning course “Teaching & Enhancing Learning” will help teachers and trainers develop a variety of educational skills that will engage trainees and help them learn efficiently and effectively.
The courses are suitable for all doctors who are responsible for teaching and training ophthalmologists, Eye Care Professionals or medical students.
They use a blend of independent preparatory learning with intensively-facilitated practical sessions on the day. Pre-recorded lectures (taking about 4-6 hours) will be circulated beforehand to support the small-group work.
Teaching and Enhancing Learning
By independently studying pre-recorded lectures and learning material before attending the course, delegates will understand the tools utilised in teaching, and how to apply them. These tools include:
• Techniques to enhance the value of teaching
• Tailoring teaching to the learners
• Setting aims and objectives
• Designing a teaching session
• Teaching practical skills, including surgery
• Evaluation and feedback
By attending the course delegates will take part in multiple intensively-facilitated small-group practical sessions during which they will fine-tune their skills to apply these tools.
- use interactive techniques
• use a four-step approach to teaching practical skills
• evaluate teaching and improve through feedback