This course will help Clinical and Educational Supervisors develop skills to make their conversations with trainees more valuable for learning. It will cover many aspects of the GMC standards required for the appraisal of trainers.
This course uses a blend of independent preparatory learning with intensively-facilitated practical sessions on the day. Pre-recorded lectures circulated beforehand support the small-group work.
By independently studying pre-recorded lectures before attending the course, delegates will understand the tools utilised in the supervision of trainees, and how to apply them. These tools include:
• Formative assessment of WBAs
• Assessment meetings with trainees
• Support of trainees in difficulty
By attending the course delegates will take part in multiple intensively-facilitated small-group practical sessions during which they will fine-tune their skills to apply these tools. They will practice how best to:
• use objective setting to stimulate and direct learning
• motivate trainees through feedback
• improve learning from formative assessment (eg: WBAs)
• make accurate summative assessments for supervisor reports
• develop action plans through which to monitor progress
• guide personal and professional development
• talk to trainees about their shortcomings
• use questions to solve problems